Who is behind Wild Selections® and what is Wild Selections® all about?
- Wild Selections® was launched by Bumble Bee Foods, LLC. It was created to effect meaningful change in marine conservation and fisheries management and to expand awareness about sustainable seafood.
- Wild Selections® uses only Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified sustainable seafood.
Why did you create Wild Selections?
- Our goal for Wild Selections® is to create greater awareness about and involvement in the health of our oceans and the fish that we enjoy. This brand was created to promote scientific and sustainable management of our oceans’ fish populations. The more consumers purchase Wild Selections®, the more we can donate back into studying and improving marine habitats and strengthening fish populations. Promoting conservation this way is good for the planet and also good for business.
Why does Wild Selections® have the blue Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified sustainable seafood label on its can?
- The blue MSC label on every can of Wild Selections® lets consumers easily identify the product as sustainably sourced. This “ecolabel” guarantees that the fish in the can truly comes from a traceable and certified sustainable fishery. For each can we sell, we can trace the product back to a fishery or even the boat which caught it.
Are Wild Selections® product farm raised or wild caught?
- All of our seafood products are wild caught and carry the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certification for sustainable wild seafood.
Where are Wild Selections® products caught?
- Currently we are sourcing Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified sustainable tuna from the Maldives which goes into our Solid Light Tuna products, and Fiji which goes into our Solid White Albacore products.
Is Wild Selections® Pole and Line caught tuna?
- Some of our Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified tuna is caught using the Pole and Line method. This is a method where boats fish on schools of tuna using live bait and hand-held fishing poles with individual hooks.
- The MSC standards require that any certified fishery meets goals, based on global consensus for fishery best-practices, in how they manage their operation, maintain abundant fish stocks by preventing over-fishing and protect the habitat—including protecting “bycatch” species like sea turtles, sharks and sea birds.
Does Wild Selections® use Longline caught tuna? Isn’t Pole and Line more sustainable?
- We do source some Albacore Tuna from MSC certified Longline fisheries. Our Longline MSC certified tuna meet the exact same measurable standards of sustainability as the MSC certified Pole and Line fisheries from which we also procure.
- The MSC standards require that any certified fishery meets the same objective goals, regardless of catch method, based on global consensus for fishery best-practices, in how they manage their operation, maintain abundant fish stocks by preventing over-fishing, and protect the habitat—including protecting “bycatch” species like sea turtles, sharks and sea birds.